Monday, February 27, 2017

Day 38, 01 Year Trumpland: We Never Win

Note, I started this blog over the weekend, and then didn't know where I wanted to go with it. Dates reflect when I started it. Today, Monday, was the president's address to the governors. It gave me the direction I needed for the comments here. So bear with the discontinuity.  I'm also working on my pad because the laptop stopped working Friday. I have no spell check. Sigh.

This morning, as I scrolled my email, I stumbled upon a Trump/Pence email. I am always annoyed by these, but glanced it over before going back and actually reading it. Here's the paragraph that most caught my eye:
You want a government that serves the people -- not the donors and not the special interests. You want a Government that keeps its promises. A great spirit of optimism is sweeping all across the country. It is a new day in America and President Donald Trump is making us proud again. 
As pundits guess what might be the content of Lil' Donald's first speech at the joint session of Congress on Tuesday, I suspect I know.
Lil' Donald's self-agrandizing behavior never relents.
This disparagement of the Obama administration, describing it as "a mess" and the implication that America not great before Lil' Donald took office continues. This email is also a prepartation for the Tuesday speech. Optimism might characterize his oligarachic appointees and blind followers like Gene Huber, but it does not characterize the people I know.

Today, Lil' Donald gave his speech before the governors, in which he said tomorrow he will be asking for a historic increase in defence spending:

...landmark event, and message to the world in these dangerous times, of America's strength, security and resolvve. We must ensure that our our courageous men and women have the tools they need to deter war, and when called upon to fight in our name and on do one thing, win. We have to win. We have to start winning wars again. I have to say when I was young and in high school and in college, everyyboy used to say we never lost a war. We never lost a war. You remember. Some of you are right thre with me and you rememer. America never lost and now we never win a war. We never win. And we don't fight to win. So we don't fight to win. So we got to win or don't fight it at all. but where we are, 17 years, almost 17 years of fighting in the Middle East--we're up. I was the chart the othere day. As of about a month ago, $6 trillion we've spent in the Middle East. $6 trillion. And I want to tell you that's just unacceptable. And went no whee. the Middle East is far worse than it was 16-17 years ago. There's not even a contest. so we've  spent $6 trillio, we have a hornet's nest, it's a mess, like you've never seen befoe, we're nowhere. So we're going to straighten it out. This defence spending increase will be offset and paid for by fnding greater savings and effenciencies across the federal governmet. We're going to do more with less. 
So the cuts so far seem planeed for State Department, non-defense programs and the EPA. Also, Lil' Donald has stated that he plans cuts to foreign aid.
Think about it. If they get rid of the three cabinets, including education, turning all of it back over to the states, you save money. Cut foreign aid. Then you advertise saving trillions which you pour into defense spending. Go back to your middle school history class. Wars are about economics.
And here's a frightening specuation - Lil' Donald goes to war in the Middle East to "win" and he breaks with law/tradition to stay in office forever because no one else can win. And his fat cat friends get fatter. The American public stays distracted by war, and the wealth pours into the pockets of the wealthy.

Democrats are not positioned to change this for four years. Yes, we have some elections in 2018 but not enough seats can change hands to sweep the changes out from under the Republicans yet. So it's up to the people. Unfortunately, most Democrats are so thin from the stollen election that they aren't looking. A dear friend said to me the other day "I read an article or two, and I can't look anymore". Most of my friends can't even talk politics with me for long before they change the subject. I don't know how my partner stands me at this point. I refuse to look away.

(Cindy's partner here - I also refuse to look away; so it's no problem!)

But sometimes we have to take a break. So I'm thinking of adding a Dandelion Resistance Day once a week to my blog. Pussy hats, inspiration, hope.

Meanwhile, here's a peek for now.

Outside those governmental halls there will be a rally sponsored by Move On. The rally is called, "Resitance Address: Defending American Values in a Time of Moral Crisis." Lil' Donald doesn't know it, but he has galvanized the Democratic party.


The Women's March has been followed by a multitude of other marches across this nation.   
                                                 

There is a Science March being planned for Earth Day, Saturday, April 22nd.
Town Halls are blossoming everywhere like fairy mushroom rings - most Republican representatives are fleeing like goblins exposed to sunlight. Hilarious - and pointed - reactions are ensuing. Empty suits stood up on maniquins to represent the absent. "Missing Congressman" notices are appearing everywhere - even snuck onto milk labels in the grocery store, like the missing child notifications.  There's a political action for you!
People are becoming more savy and wily, becoming knowledgeable in how to contact their congress and senate critters, and how to speak fluently about issues and change.
In short, the debacle of Lil' Donald's election has woken a significant portion of the sleeping population of America from it's apathy and helplessness and infused them with fury and knowledge.
Lil' Donald, you have wakened a sleeping giant...and it will not willingly be turned back to slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment